Generous people like you help the Macon County Conservation Foundation fulfill its mission to support the Macon County Conservation District’s natural areas and historic sites.
If you want to fund a unique project or item, consider one of these wish list items that we are currently striving towards. To provide for a project, contact us at 217-423-7708.
- Rock Springs Conservation Area
- Seed for 30 acres of prairie, $30,000 or $1,000/acre
- Timber Stand Improvement (removing invasive and aggressive species to open the forest canopy), $1,100/acre
- Removal of bush honeysuckle at any conservation area, hand cut and sprayed by contractor, $1,100/acre
- Sponsor a summer Natural Resources Intern, $1,000 (with $500 match provided by Izaak Walton League)
Education & Recreation
- Improve the EcoCenter permanent exhibit, $5,000
- Sponsor a school field trip, $500 for transportation to and from Rock Springs Nature Center for any school in Macon County
- New terrarium for education animals, $300
- New filter for painted turtle aquarium, $300
- Summer camp scholarships, $135 will send a child to camp for a week
Infrastructure & Equipment
- Friends Creek Conservation Area
- Improve the campground with electricity added to nine campsites, $40,000
- A new or gently used Caterpillar 316, 318, 320 excavator (117 – 172 horse power) – or a similar brand excavator, for fence line removal, prairie and savanna restoration, and wetland construction.
- A new or gently used Caterpillar D4, D5, or D6 dozer (130 – 215 horse power) – or similar brand excavator, for fence line removal, prairie and savanna restoration, and wetland construction.
- A new or gently used Genie S-40 or S-45 telescopic boom lift – or similar brand, for repairs, lighting, and trail hazard removal.